The house at Monksgrange, Co. Wexford, built for Goddard Richards and completed in 1769, lies in the centre of the demesne lands. Early estate maps drawn 1757-1821 and the Ordnance Survey maps from 1840 to date indicate a largely unchanged layout of house, garden and field systems even today. The three overlapping lobes of influence on the physical unity of the place will be examined with the help of illustrations of maps, drawings and narrative imagery from the extensive Monksgrange Archives. Though modest in scale and embellishment, the architecture adheres to the Georgian principles of symmetry, proportion and balance; while the landscape and garden carry influences of Repton, Robinson, Gertrude Jekyll and Edwin Lutyens make their voices heard in the garden design.
This talk was first presented to the Irish Georgian Society on 15th September 2020, and is reproduced here by kind permission.